11.24.2006

Touchdown



the Emirates flight was 8-hours long... have finished two movies already, and ate two meals... finished reading all the readables, and watching the watchables! finally, after traversing the west asian countries, and when the captain crew instructed us to fasten our seatbelts, straighten our chairs and open our windows, it means i am close to home...


so when i landed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, my lips broke into a big smile. the almost dilapidated tube and warm-moist air did not dampen my spirit. walking past a folk band playing songs welcoming the 'balikbayans' and some christmas carols completed my arrival mood. then, as expected, many flock to the cholocate store just before immigration -- a Pinoy trademark that expresses our endearment to 'pasalubong' for loved ones. the long line at the immigration was itching my feet further to go out of the airport and see my welcoming team ;) even if the officers were not that friendly, going past thru them and the tedious waiting at the baggage belt, boosts my adrenaline rush.


it's not as if this is my first time to come home. twice a year, i get the privilege of going back to my beloved country, and yet, however often it is, touchdown never loses its magic spell in me!


with three luggages on tow, i walk down to the waiting area under the letter "I". I gave AED 10 to the baggage boy who helped me (I just hope dirhams mean somehting here as I do not have peso or dollar). Just simultaneosly, i see small and big hands waving at the crowded non-passengers waiting area-- that of my mom and my niece! i rushed to them and gave my mom, my dad, my niece Shaira and my nephew Cedrik (who fell asleep waiting for me for two hours under the Manila heat!) a big bear hug!


three days after, i went to Shaira's school to get her card. Teacher Des showed me Shaira's diary last Nov 18. and there, she wrote "Masayang masaya ako kasi sinundo namin si Tita sa airport. Tapos malungkot nako nng umuwi na kami" (I am very happy because we fetched Tita at the airport, but I am sad when we left). I don't know exactly what she meant by the latter, but all i know is that every touchdown is a joyous ocassion for many families...

No comments: