7.14.2007

The Bliss of Forgetfulness


oh yes, there is such a thing! and it works well for me. before i tell you how, let me just give you a background on this weakness of mine...

for those who do not know me that much, i have chronic forgetfulness. since college, my memory has always failed me. i forget names, formulas, data, etc. well, i can say it's really only by His grace that i survived school life! whew!!!

when i started working, i realized i cannot live with a marred memory. there were times i'd call someone in their local extension, and if she responds back even just after a minute, i already forget what i was about to say. more comical and embarrassng is when my boss would instruct me something, and then when i am about to do it, i'd ask him what it was again that he told me to do! oh, yeah i have those moments!
therefore, i tried all the tricks in the bag. i always have my notepads on hand (for any instruction of the boss), planners (for dealines and meetings), color coded pens (red to mark off 'done' items), highlighters (to highlight important nos and names), post its, outlook helps, and other what-have-yous. and yes, they are effective all these years! so work-wise, i am able to manage this, except for some lapses which thankfully, my colleagues forgive, hehe, like missing papers, missing keys, missing pens, missing phone, etc. i wish we can 'ring' all things in case they are misplaced...

in my personal life, it is my diary that stand as my witness. i've had that since i was first year college, and continues to do so until now. why? because the wonderful details of my life should not be left to the care of my memory!!

so where is the bliss there? you might ask...

well, for one, i do not carry an excess emotional baggage. my mantra is 'if you cannot say it, forget it; if you cannot forget it, say it". i've seen a lot of people victimized by a past they can never forget which haunts them and impairs their present. would you believe that there are times that i talk nonchalantly to someone with whom i've had an altercation with just a few days ago, simply because i forgot about the whole thing already? more often than not, i forget the small issues i have with other people, whether it's their issue against me or my issue against them. i said 'more often than not' because i'm still human, and there are still a few concerns which are retained in my limited-capacity-brain.

secondly, forgiving comes completely --- forgive and... forget! and move on...

thirdly, it gives me the opportunity to give people who wronged me a clean slate to start with. the Bible says "love covers a mulitude of sins". but of course, i couple it with easily learning from the past mistakes, so people do not take advantage of my supposed 'kindness'. i don't get mad, i get even! haha! just kidding! seriously, i believe that while people are breathing, there will always be a chance for change.
and lastly, it helps me to focus my energy on the more important issues in life. they say that relationships (or life for that matter) are not destroyed by big problems, but by small issues that has piled up and was not dealt with properly. true. in the same measure that life is composed of the bigger picture of God's blessings which we naturally easily dismiss, rather than the small black spots of unsettled wants which we hardly ever forget.
so, celebrate your 'selective' forgetfullness!!! cheers!!

No comments: