10.31.2006

Turning a New Leaf

u
i usually have memorable birthdays. i remembered having my first real birthday cake when I was 6 years old. when I turned 18, it was rather a weird celebration with more of my mom’s friends than mine. on the 20th occasion, it was a mix-type of exciting fun with my college friends and dormitory mates. the 30th was the first time my whole family (and their families) went out for a wonderful dinner in a cozy restaurant.


so how different then would 32 be aside from celebrating it away from home? I know that even as i get old, i won’t get tired of making it a day which is ‘more than the ordinary’.
why the fuss? firstly, it is a celebration of how God has been preserving me throughout these years. how many have not seen their 32nd year in this world? just watch the tv and see how blessed you are at your age.


secondly, it is a remembrance of His blessings. despite my shortcomings, He has blessed me
with so so much!... with salvation, with peace, with joy, with a loving mom and dad, and caring brothers and their wives, and of course, super cutie nephews and nieces! He gave me a very good health to enable me to do things, a job that i truly love, real friends and brethren i could laugh and cry with and grow with, and the elusive element of time to really enjoy moments in this life. they say these are considered luxuries nowadays… if that is so, wow, I can say I am a rich gal! No complaints whatsoever... even if literally, all the people budge me about my singlehood at 32!?#$ The eternal nagging question of “why?” gets to its climax ironically on your birthday. whew! good thing it is just for one day... but after getting used to it, I now just smile knowing that my life is more than half-full... and not half-empty ;)


lastly, birthdays for me is a challenge I love to embrace... a challenge to be a better person, a better worker, a better daughter, a better sister, and most importantly, a better christian. ever since i was a child, i always loved the turning of a new leaf... new school year, new season, new chapter… it means i don’t have to wait for New Year to re-write my resolutions… ;)

No comments: